Preparing food over a campfire is part of the fun of on-the-road traveling. With an inventory of simple grocery items, you can prepare some classic campfire favorites that will have everyone clamoring for more.
With RV cooking and grilling accessories from CCRV, you’ll have everything at your fingertips to be in impressive campfire cook.
Using a cast iron Dutch oven over hot coals, your stew will be succulent and juicy. Ingredients needed include: stew beef, potatoes, carrots, onion, green beans, garlic, beef broth or bouillon, olive oil, canned corn, canned diced tomatoes, and canned biscuits.
- Chop and quarter potatoes. Trim tips off green beans.
- Place green beans, potatoes, 1 can of corn and 1 can of diced tomatoes (drained), and 2 tsps beef broth into a bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Slice 1 medium sized onion. Crush 2 to 3 cloves of garlic. Set aside.
- Prep stew meat with salt and pepper.
- Use olive oil to coat the Dutch oven. Place lid on pot and place in hot coals.
- Add meat, garlic and onion, and stir to brown meat. Be careful of hot coals.
- Add remaining ingredients plus 1 to 2 cups of water. Cover and cook for an hour.
- Remove lid carefully and place biscuits on top of the stew. Replace lid. Add hot coals to the lid top to brown biscuit tops. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully remove hot coals from lid. Remove pot from coals and serve.
Cowboy Baked Beans
- Heat 4 tbsp vegetable oil in a saucepan. Add 2 medium chopped onions and 2 carrots. Cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add 2 cups cubed unsmoked bacon. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tbsp dark sugar and 2 tbsp tomato puree. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of pinto beans that have soaked overnight along with the liquid, 2 cups tomatoes and 1 cup of strong coffee.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add mild chilies – optional.
- Cover beans with water. Replace light fitting lid and simmer for at least 3 hours.
- Periodically check water level during cooking and add more water, if necessary.
- Serve over rice along with cornbread.
Are you ready for some camping fun?
Bob @ CCRV can help you get started camping today!